Filed under Class of 2018 News

Seniors Demian, Christiano & Cabezas win Voice of Democracy Essay Competition

The essay winners are enrolled in Mrs. Lonergan's public speaking class.

English Instructor Mrs. Lonergan has continued the tradition of overseeing the Voice of Democracy Essay Competition in her public speaking class. The annual contest, which began in 1947,  is sponsored by the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW).

The Voice of Democracy Program has been the VFW’s premier scholarship program in which approximately 40,000 high school students compete each year for more than $2 million in scholarships. Students compete by writing essays and recording an audio essay based on an annual patriotic theme. Prizes and scholarships for the winners are then awarded at the Post, District, state and national level.

At Becton, Senior Kyrillos Demian secured first place, Jana Christiano placed second, and Justina Cabezas placed third.

I feel honored because I got to share my hope for the future.”

— Kyrillos Demian

The topic for this year’s contest is American History: Our Hope for the Future.  Kyrillos’ writing piece focused on accepting one another. “I experienced the subject matter of my essay personally, and I wanted to share it with everyone,” he explained.

Furthermore, Jana wrote her essay on how the world should become a better place. The senior stated that she was not surprised at all when she had won second place. “I feel like I worked hard on it, and I feel like I earned second place,” she said.

The topic of third place winner Justina Cabezas’ essay was racial equality. “The idea for my essay came from a personal experience,” she recounted.

A ceremony for the winners will be taking place in February. VFW Veterans of Carlstadt and East Rutherford, Mrs. Lonergan, Mrs. Cannarozzi, and the three winners, along with their families, will be invited to attend.

About the Writers
Savannah Moorman, Staff Writer
During her free time, Savannah Moorman loves to practice makeup on her little sister or other family members. When she’s older she wants to become a makeup artist, specialize in bridal makeup, and own her own business. When it comes to school, she is a very hard worker and pushes herself to do better. Savannah...
Fabiola Gonzalez, Staff Writer
Fabiola Gonzalez is very dedicated and hard worker at home and in school. She’s full of life, and her smile brightens everyone’s day. She’s a very reliable and very trust worthy friend. Her best friend is Savannah. Them two together is a movie.
  • Seniors Demian, Christiano & Cabezas win Voice of Democracy Essay Competition

Class of 2018 News

Class of 2018 Valedictorian: Victoria Gatopoulos

Class of 2018 News

Class of 2018 Salutatorian: Timothy Reid

Class of 2018 News

Multi-colored graduation cords to be worn at 2018 commencement ceremony

Class of 2018 News

Senior Gramlich awarded Hackensack UMC scholarship

Class of 2018 News

Class of 2018 Post-Graduate Plans

Class of 2018 News

Senior Class President Kuc fulfills leadership goals, looks forward to speaking at graduation

Class of 2018 News

Senior Cao’s book available for purchase on Amazon

Class of 2018 News

Senior Jimenez completes hands-on internship at Becton

Becton 2017-2018 Highlights

Class of 2018 Commitment Day

Class of 2018 News

Senior Cao participates in American Legion scholarship program