Becton administration successfully implements 1:1 Chromebook Roll-Out

Becton Sophomore Andri Barrios uses his Chromebook to complete research in English class.

Becton’s One-to-One Chromebook Initiative, which launched this past spring with the sophomore and junior classes, has expanded to the entire student body.

“We are very happy that the board of education has supported this technology initiative to supply every student with a computer device to use in school and at home,” said Principal Dr. Sforza.

The board of education was able to acquire each computer by splitting the purchase between two budget periods. Between last year and this year, approximately $170,000 was spent on the new laptops.

Goals of this major digital shift are to give students the ability to instantly access practical researching tools and to effectively allow them to communicate with their teachers through Google Classroom. Furthermore, online quizzes and assignments will be an important part of the initiative, which will also help to enhance the learning experience. The Chromebooks will also drastically reduce the number of paper copies given out in every class. 

Moving on, students will also be provided laptop cases this month. The cases are of a standard black design and are described as being “very light and durable”. They will include a picture of the Becton logo, a compartment for student IDs, and a carrying handle for easy traveling. Students will be able to work on their Chromebooks directly out of their cases due to straps in the corners that hold the laptop in place when opened.

Another new factor of the initiative is the different style Chromebook that was distributed to the Class of 2021. According to Dr. Sforza, the older model of the Chromebooks was discontinued, so the school had to purchase a newer model for all ninth graders. The newer Chromebooks still have the same updates and functions as the ones handed out to all other grade levels.

All in all, the One-to-One Chromebook Initiative at Becton is running smoothly, and students and faculty are already using them in class.

“I’m motivated by the innovative teaching and learning initiatives that we continue to bring to Becton, taking it to the next level each and every year,” stated Dr. Sforza.