Revised attendance policy helps to clarify confusion

A Becton student reviews the updated attendance policy, which can be found online in the Becton Student/Parent Handbook.

Becton’s updated attendance policy, which is being introduced starting the 2017-2018 school year, is focusing on decreasing student absences and tardies.

“The goal of revising the policy was to increase accountability for students when it comes to managing their own attendance and also realizing the importance of being present in school every day,” said Principal Dr. Sforza. “Also, there has been a lot of confusion in regards to the previous policy, and the revised policy now clarifies a lot of this confusion we once had,” he added.

Dr. Sforza noted that Becton allows seventeen (17) absences per school year, which is the maximum amount allowed in the district.

With the new changes made by an attendance committee comprised of the Becton administration as well as several staff members this past spring, only three reasons for being absent will be officially excused, which are a religious holiday, Bring Your Child to Work Day and a student’s suspension from school. A doctor’s appointment will count towards the seventeen 17 allowable days for a full year course. It is no longer considered an excused absence that does not count towards the allowable days due to the fact that students may exceed days absent without consequence; however, if one becomes ill, he or she may bring in a letter from a doctor to be able to make up work that he or she has missed during that time period. 

You can’t learn if you are not here.”

— Mrs. Melchionne

Moreover, another major change relates to first period tardies and absences. Becton’s attendance officer, Mrs. Melchionne, made it very clear that missing first period will no longer be tolerated. She strongly stated, “You get one warning per semester; after that, it is a central detention.” This rule goes hand in hand with Becton´s strict no cutting policy. If a student is more than fifteen minutes late to a class, it will be marked as an absence.

All in all, Mrs. Melchionne mentioned that student attendance has been an issue in the past years and that the average amount of excused and unexcused days missed per pupil is nine.

She then noted that the new policy “makes it fair for everyone”. “You can’t learn if you are not here,” she said.

About the Writer
Jaylen Nuila, Staff Writer
Jaylen is a junior at Becton. She loves to hike and be outdoors as much as possible. She enjoys trying new food and exploring new cultures. During her free time, she can be found watching Netflix religiously. After school she participates in volleyball and basketball. Jaylen enjoys photography and won an Award of Recognition as...
  • Revised attendance policy helps to clarify confusion

Becton 2017-2018 Highlights

Journalism & Mass Media students see live taping of Good Morning America

Becton 2017-2018 Highlights

Class of 2018 Commitment Day

Becton 2017-2018 Highlights

Becton announces this year’s honor guards

Becton 2017-2018 Highlights

NJ Dept. of Ed. recognizes BRHS as ‘model high school’

Becton 2017-2018 Highlights

Becton’s first Elective Fair debuts courses, introduces new elective ideas

Becton 2017-2018 Highlights

Becton’s Anderson commits to Monmouth University, receives full scholarship

Becton 2017-2018 Highlights

Becton Junior Gene Lee earns perfect score on math portion of SAT

Becton 2017-2018 Highlights

National Honor Society Ceremony recognizes 14 inductees

Becton 2017-2018 Highlights

Becton students help make annual Senior Senior Prom a memorable event

Becton 2017-2018 Highlights

Becton Performing Arts Center dedicated to former teacher Mr. James Williams