Becton Welcomes New Principal, Dr. Sforza

As the 2014-2015 school year commences, Becton Regional High School proudly welcomes its new principal, Dr. Dario Sforza. Previously working at Secaucus and Hawthorne High School, Dr. Sforza had many different roles and titles. He taught several science classes, some of which include AP Physics and geophysical science. He also served as the Career Exploration and Internship Coordinator. The career exploration program allows students to participate in internships in fields that may interest them. “It was one of the most successful and meaningful programs,” said Dr. Sforza. “The best part was that junior and senior year students were able to see if what they envisioned themselves doing in the future was what they actually wanted by getting  hands-on experiential learning,” he said.

Dr. Sforza was also a former supervisor of math, science, and career and technology education. In addition, he earned the position of vice principal, which included overseeing student discipline and school security, as well as numerous curriculum projects. He feels that his previous position as vice principal and the many hats he wore have helped him tremendously to transition into his new role as Becton’s principal.

Dr. Sforza intends on incorporating his previous job experiences to make Becton the best it can be for its students and faculty. “I believe there is a deficiency in the amount of electives at Becton,” stated the new principal. Therefore, Dr. Sforza wants to include the students in the discussion and process of adding 21st century programs to the school. He thinks that more diverse, career-orientated electives will aid adolescents in becoming more in touch with careers of their interest. In addition, the principal feels that by using creative scheduling techniques, he can add more class time, which will allow Becton to offer more electives and increase academic achievement and class time productivity.

Principal Sforza also wishes to improve the behavioral aspect of the school. He said that every student has unique individual needs which are required to be met in order to receive a better learning experience. Keeping that in mind, he intends on having interventions with problematic students and their parents if necessary.

Furthermore, the new principal wants to form more bonds with students by holding one-on-one meetings to discuss their academics and plans for the future. He fully understands the added pressures a student may have and wants for them to know that the faculty is there for them.

In regards to adjusting to the new policies and procedures, Becton’s principal thinks that change is a process, not an event. Stating that he spent part of his summer working on the new handbook, he is looking forward to seeing how the new policies he has implemented will affect Becton in the long run.

As head of a school building that just went through a $30 million renovation, Dr. Sforza believes that the school has lots of potential and is looking forward to the many positive changes in its future. He is a strong supporter of building safety, security and discipline. More than anything, he wishes to provide Becton with stability after the amount of administration turnovers it has had in the previous years.

Moreover, being able to witness Becton students participating in clubs and sports outside of the classroom is something he looks forward to. “I admire seeing students involved in school plays and in athletics,” he said. “I am always amazed at how talented they are.”

During his down time, the principal enjoys spending time with family, reading, fixing things around the house and working on his garden. He also enjoys traveling to unique and adventurous places like the Grand Canyon and often visits his parents’ home town in southern Europe. The calm southern European lifestyle gives him time to relax and unwind, claiming he feels “balanced” when he is there.

In high school, Principal Sforza was involved in extracurricular clubs and activities including basketball and even tried out for other sports; however, basketball was his passion.