International Week highlights, celebrates Becton diversity

ESL Instructor Mrs. Gonzo designed a bulletin board to help educate Becton students on various languages.

ESL Instructor Mrs. Gonzo, along with the Italian and Spanish Honor Societies and a few faculty and staff members, prepared Becton’s annual International Week to help celebrate the high school’s diverse population.

On a designated week in May, Mrs. Gonzo coordinated various celebratory activities such as an International Breakfast where parents and guardians of students enrolled in Becton’s ESL program are given the opportunity to meet with one another and learn more about the curriculum. Also, an International Luncheon is organized in order for students to be able to share their cultural background with their classmates by bringing in food from various countries. Last but certainly not least, a foreign film festival wraps up the week, so students can further immerse themselves in the history and culture of another country. 

Pullquote Photo

It’s an exchange program…celebrating our diversity with each other.

— Mrs. Gonzo

Decorations such as flags in the cafeteria, a display case, banners and bulletin boards also contributed to the festive atmosphere, and the daily morning announcements concluded with messages spoken in several languages such as Italian, Spanish, Polish, Korean, and Japanese.

“It’s an exchange program of ideas, culture, food, and language, celebrating our diversity with each other,” stated Mrs. Gonzo. She went on to mention that the level of success of the annual event is all thanks to the efforts of World Language teachers Mrs. Sanchez, Mrs. Bonanno, and Mrs. Ruiz, Media Specialist Ms.Vaccaro, Food Service Director Raynette Segalini and the custodial staff.

Future expectations for International Week aim for all ethnic populations to be represented in a positive light. “In the future, I would like to get the Art Department involved with this week, so students can create art reflecting the diverse cultures of our school and the world. Maybe we can include guest speakers and dance classes as well,” Mrs. Gonzo said.

Mrs. Gonzo has led International Week at Becton for 27 years.