Tri-District Art & Music Show to take place March 30

Band news includes future field trip and course name change

The middle school and high school bands perform together for the Carlstadt and East Rutherford communities.

Ryan Strauss and Gina Beneduci

The Becton Band will be taking part in an Art and Music Show with A.S. Faust Middle School and Carlstadt Public School on March 30 in Becton’s Performing Arts Center, incorporating songs selected by each of the schools.

Annually for the past several years, the three schools worked in conjunction with each other to present the concert portion of the Art and Music Show. The show is being held under the leaderships of Mr. Moore from Becton Regional High School, Mr. Schweikardt from A.S. Faust Middle School, and Mr. Guard from Carlstadt Public School.

“I enjoyed working under the instruction of Mr. Schweikardt in middle school so much, and it will be great to have the chance to work with him again,” noted Becton Junior GaHyun Yoo.

The combined three bands will be performing selections picked by each music teacher such as the Back to the Future theme song.

Along with the bands’ performances, there will be an artwork display in the cafeteria.

______________________________________________________________________

In regards to plans for Becton’s band moving forward, they hope to travel to Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson, New Jersey this spring after competing at a nearby high school, where they will be performing and later be assessed on that performance by a panel of judges.

The performance will be comprised of selections the band has practiced and played throughout the year, such as Take On Me by A-Ha. The day trip is designed to give the band members a day to relax after a year of dedicated practice and performances.

Looking to next year, Mr. Moore mentioned that the ‘Instrumental Instruction’ course name will be changing to ‘Band’. In his class, Mr. Moore works with students in order to further both their individual instrumental skills as well as their knowledge of music and musical theory. He stated that in the past there has been some confusion for incoming freshmen signing up for the course, so he hopes that the course’s name change will clear up that confusion and hopefully lead to a rise in membership.