Bienvenido to BRHS, Senora Ruiz

Ms. Ruiz takes the time out to reflect with the Cat’s Eye View staff.

Taina Soler, Staff Writer/Photographer

Ms. Ruiz, Becton Regional High School’s new Spanish teacher, has started her first year with offering students and staff fresh ideas and insights.

Ms. Ruiz earned a degree in teaching about three years ago after she motivated herself to go back to school in 2010.

However, before she decided on going back to school, the Spanish instructor had been teaching herself how to speak English and taking night classes in Paterson to further educate herself as well.

She explains that she knew she wanted to become a teacher all her life, but it became very clear to her when she started volunteering at the YMCA to help other Hispanics learn English.

When asked what she plans on bringing to the Becton community, she responded, “I plan on advising a Multicultural Club that brings together a variety of people from different cultures as well as conduct field trips for my students.” Ms. Ruiz then reiterated how she strives to bring together all different cultures in order to create a comfortable and safe environment for her students since she and her family and friends were stripped of this right when living in Colombia.

The new Becton teacher shared that she has been to her home in Colombia on multiple occasions such as during August of this past summer.

“Being in America is such a beautiful and nice thing. It brings people together and creates unity. Back in Colombia it isn’t like that, so coming here and seeing all these people together is inspiring,” she said.

Ms. Ruiz is a firm believer in change and acceptance. She noted that not only has she accomplished many tasks during her lifetime, but she has accomplished them all with a substantial amount of struggle; therefore, she is not only an inspirational Spanish teacher, but she is also a motivator for those who strive to do the impossible.