Becton Says Farewell to Mrs. Tripodi and Mrs. Hopper

Aneta Ostasz, Staff Writer

After a long and successful career, there comes a time where it is time to say goodbye and move forward to a new chapter in life. Two of Becton’s World Language teachers, Mrs. Tripodi and Mrs. Hopper, are retiring at the end of this school year, and both feel that it is bittersweet.

“I feel nostalgic because I have taught for 32 years but very happy to be transitioning into a new career,” states Mrs. Hopper.

Mrs. Hopper is loved and appreciated by the students and staff of Becton, and she has left a lasting impression on the school. During her teaching career, she started writing books, and she recently got a three-book deal with a New York publishing company. The new series will be about a paranormal investigation, and she will be continuing to write her series: A Cate Harlow Private Investigation. When asked about her retirement, she “felt it was time, especially with the new career opportunity opening for me.”

As for leaving the Becton community, she looks back on her time here: “I am very proud and will continue to be a member of this wonderful profession. I’ve made good friends, and I have had some wonderful students. Once a teacher, always a teacher,” says Mrs. Hopper.

As for Mrs. Tripodi, she hopes to have more leisure time with family as well as time to travel with her husband and go back to Italy as much as possible. She plans to travel to Prince Edward Island in Canada with her husband and then go on a family vacation. She also looks forward to spending a lot of time with her new grandson. She states that her time at Becton has been a wonderful experience, but she’s ready to move on.

“I’m ready for a change, and I’m ready to find a new direction and a new focus.” She also states that she’s had the nicest students and enjoyed working with her colleagues. She recalls that her colleagues have been so supportive and caring, and she feels blessed; she also says that she’s had the best of the Becton students every year, She’s excited to leave, but she’ll take the wonderful experience from Becton with her.

“This year, the time has come to stop and move onto something else. I am ready for new and different experiences beyond the classroom,” states Mrs. Tripodi.

As the teachers move onto new chapters on their lives, they take time to look back on their favorite memories at Becton.

“My favorite memory is teaching Italian/Philosophy 101 in room 230,” recalls Mrs. Hopper. She also states that other favorite memories include becoming friends with former students and attending weddings of these students.

As for Mrs. Tripodi, her favorite memories include seeing students become successful as well as seeing them graduate from college and get jobs. She also recalls that a favorite memory is having the “opportunity to teach Italian here at Becton and expanding that program.”

The time to say goodbye is getting closer to closer, and both Mrs. Tripodi and Mrs. Hopper have some last words for students and colleagues.

“It’s going to sound simplistic, but my advice is to live everyday with some type of joy in your heart and stop worrying,” Mrs. Hopper announces.

As for Mrs. Tripodi, she encourages students to do their best, since she believes that they are so capable; as for her colleagues, she tells them to “treat others the way they always treated me, which is wonderful. Enjoy each day.”

The Becton community thanks both Mrs. Tripodi and Mrs. Hopper for all their hard work and dedication throughout all their years at Becton; they left a wonderful impression on the World Language community of Becton, and they will leave an amazing legacy.