The meaning, traditions behind Saint Patrick’s Day

Photo courtesy of livescience.com

Patrick Cao, Editor

In a few weeks it will once again be Saint Patrick’s Day, a day for pubs to be full like the stomachs of families enjoying their traditional corned beef and cabbage. And even though most individuals consider the holiday to be quite popular with parades and decorations, not too many know the true history behind the entire celebration.

According to Biography.com, the history of Saint Patrick’s Day is based on the fifth century life of the Saint Patron of Ireland, Maewyn Succat. Born into a wealthy family in supposedly Romania or Britain, Maewyn was quite content with his life in bountiful harmony.

Unfortunately, at the age of sixteen, Maewyn was kidnapped from his rich estate by Irish raiders and forced to serve as their slave. As their slave, Maewyn had lost faith in himself, but was later rejoiced with hope by becoming a devoted individual of Christianity. As a Christian, Maewyn had a vision to escape Ireland and return to the land of his birth, Romania, and so he did. Even though he returned home after a long six years of having no family, he was still not content with himself. Thus, he had another dream that persuaded and guided him into devoting himself to God and becoming a priest to spread Christianity throughout Ireland.

As a priest, Maewyn’s named changed to Patricius, which is translated to Patrick in English. As Saint Patrick, he had converted hundreds to thousands of Irish villagers and citizens to Christianity with his teachings. The day that commemorates him is actually is death on March 17, 461 A.D.

Though Saint Patrick’s Day is mostly popular in Ireland, the United States still pulls off quite a show to portray the saint’s day. For instance, during the Saint Patrick’s Day Parade in New York, the entire event is composed of people marching in their traditional green attire while playing Irish music. But New York is not the only state that shows their real spirit towards the holiday. In 1961, the entire Chicago River was colored green with 100 pounds of green dye in honor of the saint.

Of course Saint Patrick’s Day has plenty of traditions and events that commemorate this special day, but no holiday is truly one without money being made in the making. In fact, the March celebration is the ‘Christmas’ for bars around the entire country with wallets being emptied. A 2012 estimate pegged bars throughout the country and reported that not his day, they made around $245 million from beer alone.

English Teacher Mrs. Scalera personally enjoys the holiday in a simplistic and cozy way. She has stated that she usually enjoys going over to her mother’s house and feasting upon the traditional corned beef and cabbage, due to her having some Irish in her gene pool.

“In my opinion, Saint Patrick’s Day has to be one of the most commercialized holidays with Party City being a huge contributor,” she said.

While Mrs. Scalera prefers a more relaxed feel for the holiday, History Teacher Mr. Ryan will be enjoying his time at a hockey game. Even though Mr. Ryan is doing something less conventional, he still believes that one of the main purposes of Saint Patrick’s Day is as stated, “The point of the holiday is to basically make people live up and enjoy the Irish culture and enjoy some corned beef.”

Becton High School students have also expressed their opinions and revealed their traditions on the topic at hand.

Sophomore Alan Saad has made the assumption that Saint Patrick’s Day is mostly based around a more historical point of view. “I don’t celebrate Saint Patrick’s Day, but I believe that it represents the independence of Ireland,” he said.

Sophomore Katie Kretzmer does not do anything too dynamic for Saint Patrick’s Day besides celebrate a simple birthday party for her uncle who was born on Saint Patrick’s Day.

Finally, Sophomore Victoria Gramlich simply announced, “One of my favorite parts of Saint Patrick’s Day was searching for a four leaf clover when I was younger.”

Note: This story is dedicated to my mom, for her birthday is on Saint Patrick’s Day.