Senior Class President, Forys, reflects on past year

Senior Class President Roy Forys reflects on his time at Becton.

Devyn Di Meola, Editor

As the school year draws to a close, Senior Roy Forys anxiously awaits his upcoming semester at Wesleyan University, but he also reflects on his accomplishments and overall experience as Becton Senior Class President.

“I truly enjoyed being able to branch out, ask questions, and get feedback from the student body. Making the experience as personable as possible, I wanted to see how [students] felt, the pros and cons of each change in the school, and how I could help guide Becton towards a positive tomorrow,” said the president.

Roy was one of the students who helped initiate the final exam exemption process for seniors.  He also served as one of the voters for the Student of the Month Committee, voiced students’ opinions at the monthly Student Council Luncheons, and provided leadership not only through his position, but also through his dedication to the Becton community.

Although Roy was disappointed that several of the Student Council’s ideas did not come to fruition, including the winter formal and a fundraiser that involved Dr. Sforza being duct taped to the wall, he stated, “Positive changes have been made, and I’m overall satisfied with the school as I depart from it.”

Considering his endeavors as president, Roy stated, “I would hope that my peers would approve of what I’ve done, whether it be as part of the student government, or extracurricular activities and sports. Presenting and representing Becton in the best light was always of the utmost importance to me, keeping the school moving forward, always looking to improve.”

In regards to any prospective class presidents, Roy insisted that any individual running for the position should “have a serious interest in the school’s outlook.”  He stressed that the position is not simply another title to add to one’s college resume, but rather a job that requires hard work, as well as creativity and a beneficial mindset, in order to further improve Becton.

As graduation day lurks right around the corner, Roy has begun working on his speech and plans to focus it on the ethics that have been instilled upon him: staying on the right path and working hard for success. He will also express his gratitude to everyone who has helped him along the way.

As departing advice for his fellow graduates, Roy said, “There is a specific quote by Eleanor Roosevelt that holds great pertinence to me and is viable to all students who are graduating and moving onto the next chapter in our lives: ‘The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.’”