Senior Tawfeek awarded $1,000 for volunteerism

Only Bergen County resident to receive award

Senior Tasneem Tawfeek receives her award for volunteerism.

Sharon Skeahan, Media Editor

After being nominated by School Counselor Ms. Calvanico, Becton Senior Tasneem Tawfeek has been awarded the Comcast Leaders and Achievers Scholarship for her outstanding service and volunteerism within her community. Out of 75 winners, Tasneem was the only student awarded from Bergen County. The criteria for the award includes an appropriate GPA and notable volunteer and community service.

The Becton senior received 1,000 dollars to use for her college education at Rutgers University in Newark.

In the past, Tasneem has volunteered at monthly soup kitchens and educated young girls on sustainability, the environment and gardening. Furthermore, she hosted “Beautiful Being Me,” an event to counteract the negative portrayal of female body image in the media.

One of her largest accomplishments came last year when she partnered with the East Rutherford Memorial Library and Becton Regional High School to raise awareness about student stress levels. The award recipient said, “I wanted to address and offer tips on issues related to SAT’s, academic competition, AP classes and applying to colleges.”

From her experience, Tasneem noted, “I learned the importance of professionalism, organization, determination, and hard work and how these qualities are ultimately needed for success.”

At the end of her junior year, Tasneem hosted an eight week back-to-school program, a workshop to help teens focus on reducing stress levels, properly managing time and promoting positive change in schools. This program is still offered at the beginning of each academic year and is hosted at the East Rutherford Memorial Library.

Tasneem recalls becoming immersed in organizing activities that would raise awareness on issues important to her while at the same time being sustainable. It is because of her consistent effort throughout her high school career that she has helped students across her community and beyond; however, her efforts did not stop there.

The Becton senior has branched out her volunteer efforts into the online world by creating a Facebook page, “Justice 4 Earth,” to serve as a means for raising environmental awareness. Tasneem was also invited to become an online magazine columnist to which she contributes articles to her column entitled “Nurturing Nature.”

Regarding her future, the senior said, “I am interested in majoring in psychology and psychiatric rehabilitation as an undergraduate. I would then like to continue and go on to graduate school because my goal is to become a psychologist for children and adolescents.”

Tasneem noted, “Being a recipient of this scholarship has encouraged me to continue with my projects and to never lose sight of my ultimate goal of promoting positive changes in the world around me.”