Becton administration continues to beautify school grounds

Mr. Matos, Mr. Venetz and Mr. Caputo install one of the new signs outside the front of the building.

Devyn Di Meola, Editor

Construction at Becton has been finalized for months, but ideas and plans for a more attractive school continue to develop. Following recent internal improvements to the building, including a revitalized science wing and media center, students and faculty currently look forward to further enhancing the school’s outer appearance.

“My dream is to make [Becton] look more like a college campus,” said Business Administrator Mr. Annitti. He says that administration has numerous ideas to further beautify the area surrounding the high school. The staff has begun this transformation by planting numerous trees in the front parking lot and placing two new wooden signs in front of the building.

Mr. Annitti shared that his main goal is to remove the weathered, partly barbed-wire fence that currently surrounds the high school. He is determined to replace it with a brand-new fence to make Becton look more inviting.  

My dream is to make [Becton] look more like a college campus.

— Mr. Annitti

In addition, Mr. Annitti said he has been working with the principal to transform the empty grass area next to the senior parking lot into a picnic area for students. He mentioned that because of its close proximity to the gymnasium entrance and students’ cars, benches and picnic tables in the area would be a convenient alternative to leaving the campus for lunch.

Moreover, possible uses for the vacant grass space between Wildcat Way and Cornelia Street have been a topic of debate ever since the trailers first were removed. Currently, there are no plans for the empty area, and it has served as a practice space for the marching band during football season. Administration intends to keep it empty in case it is ever determined that Becton needs to expand or join facilities with another school district.

Mr. Annitti speculates that more parking would be a necessary addition to Becton’s campus if this expansion were to occur. “We would most likely remove part of the sidewalk on Wildcat Way and cut into the hill to put in angled parking,” he noted.