Student Council to host winter semi-formal in 2015

Brittany Welsch, Staff Writer

Becton’s Student Council will be hosting a winter semi-formal on Friday, January 16, 2015, in the school’s cafeteria. The night will be filled with dancing and music, as well as beverages and snacks provided by the Student Council. Tickets for the winter-themed dance are five dollars when purchased in advance from Adviser Mrs. Scalera, but they will be seven dollars when bought upon arrival at the event.

Student Council officers are hoping that this year’s dance attracts more attention than the previous Homecoming Dance held two years ago, which approximately 90 students attended. This year, Mrs. Scalera and the officers hope to see a show of at least 100 to 125 students.

“In order to attract more people, we plan to give out different awards for different things,” said Treasurer Faith Banca. “We want to encourage more students to be recognized and enjoy the dance.” Some of the possible honors include Best Dressed and Best Dancer.

To make the winter semi-formal more affordable, Faith says that the Student Council has “lots of ideas for homemade decorations to transform the cafeteria into a winter wonderland.”

Moreover, the officers have hired a young professional DJ from Rutherford, who will provide the dance with upbeat tunes and accept frequent song requests to cater to students of all music tastes.

The dance is open to students of all grades. However, out-of-district guests from other schools are not allowed. In addition, the dress code prohibits jeans, sneakers, and any inappropriate attire. Students are encouraged to wear proper shoes, slacks, skirts, and dresses.

“We’ve all been working really hard to make this semi-formal a great one,” said Vice-President Giuseppe Penna. “We hope a good amount of students come out and have a great time.”