Journalism class visits The Record; sits in on news meeting with Editor Martin Gottlieb

The journalism class prepares their notes to ask questions about interviewing techniques.

Becton’s journalism class had the opportunity to visit the office of The Record in Woodland Park, New Jersey on Nov. 20. Following the lead of Joe Dziublenski, the Production Copy Editor of the paper, students got a glimpse of a real newsroom and were introduced to many staff positions at the office.

The morning began with an editorial conference where The Record’s top editor, Martin Gottlieb, and various news reporters discussed Bergen County events. At the conference, students listened to representatives from various departments and had the chance to see how news stories are written and published. A member of The Record’s staff even opened up the floor for questions and comments and noted the importance of student writers.

As the day progressed, the journalism class was urged to ask questions while they sat in on the meetings of numerous key speakers. The most notable was Business Reporter Kathy Lynn who posed as a Bergen County prosecutor. The students were presented a case, had the chance to interrogate her, and were then given feedback on how to improve their interviewing skills. The students also met with feature and sports writers, a web editor for northjersey.com, and other chief members of The Record’s team.

“The trip was a great experience for Becton’s young journalists, ” said Student Teacher Mr. Walsh.

Cat’s Eye View Editor Miranda Febus said, “This field trip gave us insight into how a real newsroom works. It was really intriguing.”

The students are eager to arrive to The Record's  newsroom.
The students are eager to arrive to The Record’s newsroom.