Red Ribbon Week– Black Poster Project

The+Black+Poster+Project+educates+Becton+about+Drug+Abuse.+

The Black Poster Project educates Becton about Drug Abuse.

During the nationally recognized, Red Ribbon Week, Becton Regional High School held an invaluable assembly presented by the Black Poster Project to continue to make students aware of how drugs can not only have you addicted, but how this addiction can lead to death, loss, and immense mourning for families and friends affected.

During the assembly, the Black Poster Project representatives shared true stories about people who had abused drugs, and also vulnerably shared their own experiences with their struggles regarding substance abuse. Students were also exposed to a number of people who have sadly passed away due to drug abuse. One student stated, with a sorrowful expression, “It made me feel horrible for the families and the lives that were lost due to addiction. It touched me to see a mother and a child both fall prey to drugs and see how addiction spreads.” Students and faculty visited all afternoon to see the entire gym, without a space uncovered, filled with black posters of those who have succumbed to the addictive disease. Faculty member, Ms. Polmann commented, “It was eye-opening to walk through the Black Poster Project aisles and recognizes faces of people I once knew that have fallen victim to addiction. This was an extremely powerful assembly for all age groups.”

In order to keep students reflecting and raise awareness, there were pins given out to students that said, “You are amazing, loved, kind, important, brave, and you matter.” These pins were given out to show that everyone’s struggles are important and that no one is alone despite their hardest challenges. In regard to literal reflecting, there were mirrors that had the same messages as the pins in order for students to truly see their importance in this world. These mirrors caught many students’ attention and were crowded with lines of students wanting to take pictures as a remembrance of this encouraging and self-awakening assembly. 

A special thank you to Becton Regional SAC Counselor, Jessica Bond, for setting up this experience with the commendable, Black Poster Project.