Junior Moore to pursue passion for journalism

Becton student is selected to attend hands-on journalism workshop

CEV Staff

Junior Noelia Moore’s story was recognized as “Best of SNO.”

Junior Noelia Moore, who serves as an editor of her school news site, has been accepted to attend the Summer Journalism Workshop at the School of Communication and Media at Montclair State University.

Approximately twenty-five high school students from New Jersey will attend the fourth annual Summer Journalism Workshop from June 23 through June 27, where teen journalists will be given the opportunity to meet industry professionals and experience college life while also visiting television studios and viewing the behind-the-scenes work that goes into a talk show and news program.

Noelia’s drive has motivated her to apply for the five-day workshop in hopes to explore the field of journalism in more depth. 

Pullquote Photo

…they saw who I was, and they liked that.

— Noelia Moore

Noelia’s entry into the June workshop contained an essay pertaining to the recent introduction of a bill in Texas that allows doctors to refuse treatment to LGBT patients. As a member of the LGBT community, she felt particularly affected by this information. She explained, “I not only chose to elaborate on a news story that was very important for our country to be educated on but one that is also something I’m personally passionate about.”

Photo provided by Noelia Moore
Noelia Moore had the opportunity to meet her role model, Robin Roberts, on a school field trip in 2018.

Noelia identifies herself with Journalist and Television Broadcaster Robin Roberts. “She is a great journalist on Good Morning America. I admire her because she is proof that a gay black woman can thrive and obtain a very successful career in our society,” she expressed.

The soon-to-be senior admits that this opportunity has helped her gain confidence in her work. “I was concerned that I wouldn’t measure up to other students applying for this workshop, but they saw who I was, and they liked that.”

The Becton honor student has been writing for her school’s newspaper since her sophomore year, and her story on a recent field trip to Good Morning America has been recently recognized as “Best of SNO.”

Realizing the strong influence of her work, the high school junior now recognizes her capability to achieve anything she proposes herself to. Noelia’s aspirations for the near future include writing for a college newspaper.

“In the future, I want to write for a prominent news organization, that way my work can reach people across the country and maybe even throughout the world,” she stated.