Former Becton Teacher Mrs. Clarke Becomes Superintendent

Mrs. Clarke uses the new media center to get work done.

Cat's Eye View Staff

After approximately thirty-five years as a Spanish instructor, Mrs. Louise Clarke worked her way up the ranks to become Becton’s first female superintendent.

Prior to becoming superintendent, Mrs. Clarke played the role as a lead teacher, a department chairperson and a team leader. She was then given the position of Supervisor of Instruction and Curriculum. With her strong background in leadership, Mrs. Clarke was able to become the new superintendent.

“At this day in age it’s nothing different. People are used to having women in authority [and I find there is a great] mix between females and males [in leadership positions],” commented Mrs. Clarke in regards to being the first female superintendent.

The position of superintendent suited Mrs. Clarke impeccably for she has “always taken a lead role” within Becton. She also noted how she was previously the president of the Becton Education Association.

Her ability to work with others towards a common goal has shaped and guided her tremendously. Her goals involve having an open administration policy to enable students to feel more comfortable and supported while in school. Additionally, there are plans to create a Becton Twitter account, which would “include every aspect of Becton such as academic achievements, athletic events, school activities and awards won by students.” She wishes for people to come to Becton because they are proud of what is offered here. “We are a great school and we want to show people that we are bringing back classes such as the new SAT course to make ourselves better.”

Mrs. Clarke’s expectations for the 2014-2015 school year is for everything to run smoothly and for students to be pleased by the communication and resources available to them, along with their schedules and the courses offered.

Overall, she is excited for the outcome of the numerous clubs and activities to come; she is mostly looking forward to another victory over Rutherford in the National Honor Society Spelling Bee, the Clock Tower Ribbon Cutting Ceremony, and Shadow Day.

When speaking with the superintendent, she noted that Student Council is an excellent portal between the administration, teachers, and students, as it gives each party a new outlook to any situation found within the student body. She intends to continue with monthly Student Council lunch-ins, where the administration, advisers of each council, and the student representatives meet to discuss future fundraisers, events, and ideas. The most plausible and efficient improvement that could easily be made within the student body is to respect peers more. “We need students to be tolerant and respectful towards each other,” said Mrs. Clarke. With these simple demands, it is possible to have a safer and more enjoyable environment. Most importantly, she stresses the fact that any administrator’s or teacher’s door is always open if any problems may occur.

At the conclusion of her interview, the superintendent referred back to Mr. Alfred Marbaise, a former superintendent of Becton for twelve years, remembering the “great man who had great ideas.” She stated, “If you’re not here for the kids, you might as well go home.”

Mrs. Clarke enjoys spending her limited hours of free time with her grandson and family or at the gym.