Culinary students attend field trip to ABC’s ‘The Chew’

Culinary students are sitting in the audience waiting for the show to begin filming.

Culinary Instructor Mrs. Marut, along with twenty students, went on a field trip to a television food show, The Chew, on May 4.

Mrs. Marut planned a field trip to the hit daytime show after it was suggested by one of her students, Junior Alexa Felten.

The culinary teacher then chose the first few students from her Culinary III class to experience the once-in-a-lifetime trip. Next, she chose attendees based on their interest in pursuing cooking as a career. For the remaining spots, the culinary teacher selected students based on their average grade in the class and essay of interest.

“I wanted my students to see the magic of television cooking,” said Mrs. Marut.

Mario Batali and Daphne Oz film a promotion for the show while Carla Hall greets the audience members.

“I had a really fun time at ‘The Chew’ along with many of my classmates. It was really cool how we were able to experience the behind-the-scenes action of such a popular TV show,” said Junior Donna Carella.

After the taping of the program, which aired at one o’clock p.m. that same day, the students and chaperones were able to end the trip with some savory and sweet crepes from the French-based cafe, Vive La Crepe, in New York City.

Becton students take a photo during a break in filming.