Becton graduation rate climbs nearly 14% in past 2 years

The Becton Regional High School Class of 2016 graduation rate is 97.5 percent.

The Henry P. Becton Regional High School administration and staff is proud to announce that the high school’s adjusted cohort graduation rate has significantly increased for the second consecutive year reaching 92.81 percent in 2015 and rising to 97.5 percent in 2016.

The adjusted cohort graduation rate, which is monitored by the Department of Education (DOE), can be translated into the number of students who started high school in 2012 and finished at the conclusion of the 2015-2016 school year.

Superintendent Mrs. Louise Clarke stated, “I attribute the rise to vigilance in overseeing that students do not just “drop out”, the change in schedule so that students do not become bored with school and enjoy their time here, and better tracking to know where students will complete their education if not at Becton.”

With a graduation rate of 97.5 percent, Becton Regional High School ranks thirteenth out of approximately forty-seven high schools in Bergen County. Becton Regional has bypassed high schools such as Northern Valley Regional (Demarest), Northern Valley Regional (Old Tappan), Rutherford, Park Ridge, New Milford, Hasbrouck Heights, Mahwah, River Dell Regional, Westwood Regional, and Wood-Ridge.

Pullquote Photo

It feels wonderful to know that our graduation rate is above the N.J. average.

— Superintendent Mrs. Clarke

Becton Principal Dr. Sforza credits the 4.69 percent climb to once again, “the positive culture and climate of the school, working closely with all stakeholders in setting high-level standards and solid expectations, and bringing creativity and innovation to our school.” Additionally, the Becton principal stated, “No school can succeed without excellent teaching and student support services. Our educators and student assistance services are among the most qualified in the county, and I am proud to be working alongside them and celebrating our accomplishments together.”

Becton’s new Supervisor of Guidance, Mr. Caprio, is proud to be a part of the success, stating, “Lines of communication between departments have been opened and strengthened to ensure all students are offered the individualized attention and necessary resources needed to succeed.”

The statewide average graduation rate for 2016 is 90.1 percent categorizing Becton Regional High School, once again, as well above average. “It feels wonderful to know that our graduation rate is above the N.J. average,” stated Mrs. Clarke.