Breakfast extended to first period?

With rushing around so early in the morning, we believe that students should be able to eat during the first period of school.

Between trying to get enough sleep and preparing for the day, students barely have time to make a piece toast. Most schools start between the time of 7:30 a.m. and 8:00 a.m., so adolescents are constantly rushing around to get out the door on time. Then, after students arrive at school, they are forced to wait from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. before they get to eat something.

Even though there is a restriction on students eating or drinking during class time, statistics have shown that humans have more energy after a meal. Breakfast not only helps one’s mood, but it helps brain function. On November 29, 2015, a study of 5,000 kids (ages 9 to 11) by Cardiff University stated that “children are twice as likely to score higher than average grades if they start the day with a healthy breakfast.”

Also, Consumer Reports noted that “eating within 2 hours of waking can make a difference in the way you metabolize glucose, or blood sugar, all day.”

Finally, students not being able to eat breakfast in the morning makes them eat almost twice as many calories they would normally consume. So believe it or not, eating breakfast helps prevent obesity. A study from the University of Missouri stated that recent “findings showing that a breakfast high in protein prevented gains in body fat, reduced daily food intake and stabilized glucose levels.”

With that said, numerous students have expressed that they function better when they eat something. As long as the students clean up after themselves and avoid any allergies of their peers, we should be allowed to eat during our first period class.