The second-time champion of the speedball tournament is G.O.A.T. (Photo Credit: Eunice Wang)
The second-time champion of the speedball tournament is G.O.A.T.

Photo Credit: Eunice Wang

Junior class fundraisers at ‘full speed’ while other classes prepare for profit

December 8, 2016

Last week’s speedball tournament was not only a successful fundraiser for the junior class, but it also served as a great means of entertainment and competitive play. Eight teams came out to battle for the championship title held by Senior Marc Micco’s team also known as G.O.A.T. Although every team performed very well, Marc’s team of seniors made up of Bobby Grigg, Tyler Colon, Collins Tanui, Jonathan Rengifo, Kyle Post, Schuyler Vandenberg, Nick Lago, Daniel Hanas and Raymond Quinn remain the champions of speedball.

While the games and entertainment were the focus on the outside, fundraising for the Junior/Senior prom was the main reason that the tournament was held.

Junior Class Adviser Ms. O’Driscoll stated that from the four fundraisers that were held, [Battle of Paterson Ave., poinsettia sale, Gertrude Hawk sale, speedball tournament] the junior class raised about 500 dollars. Right now, it is not enough to lower prom bids, but there will be approximately 11 more fundraisers this year including the talent show, another Gertrude Hawk sale and a clothing drive. As far as fundraising goes, Ms. O’Driscoll hopes to raise 3,000 to 4,000 dollars more in order for all costs to be covered and the price of prom bids to decrease.

Though only one-fourth of juniors has participated in the fundraisers, it is approximately the same amount of students that have participated in previous years. In order for there to be a significant decrease in the price of prom bids like last year’s 20 dollar drop, profits will have to increase by 700 percent, so more students are encouraged to participate. Moving on, Freshman Class Adviser Ms. Prinzo plans on hosting a few fundraisers this year including a winter basket raffle and a paint night. The paint night will be held at the Garden State Ale House on Park Avenue in East Rutherford.

Ms. Prinzo said, “I really liked the idea of the paint night because we don’t have to do anything but show up and we’re guaranteed at least 500 dollars.” She also said that the winter basket will include things like a warm blanket and hot chocolate to keep warm during the cold winter months.

Moreover, Physical Education Instructor Ms. Sammarone is the sophomore class adviser and is planning on holding a clothing sale. The clothing for sale will include items such as sweaters and sweatpants and will feature one of three different logos. The logos, made by Becton students, awill feature a paw print, a wildcat and the Becton athletics symbol. She said that the class will start selling them beginning this week.

Last but certainly not least, Senior Class Adviser Mrs. Ferris plans on doing many fundraisers including selling congratulatory lawn signs for the 2017 graduates, senior sweatshirts and Valentine’s Day candy grams. Although she did not say exactly when the sales will start, they will likely happen towards the end of 2016 and continue into the new year.

The Cat's Eye View • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in