Becton Welcomes Ms. Prinzo as Maternity Leave Replacement

Savannah Jones, Editor

As a result of Mrs. DeSantis’ maternity leave, Ms. Prinzo is  taking over her classes for the rest of the school year.

Ms. Prinzo decided before applying to college that she wanted to become a teacher due to her passion for literature. She graduated from Ramapo College as a literature major in 2014. “It was nice to [attend college] so close to where I live and have a job; it made me a hard worker,” says Ms. Prinzo.

Ideally, Ms. Prinzo would like to continue to teach high school students, more specifically juniors and seniors. She feels that high schoolers are more analytical and just have an overall a general interest in literature. By teaching juniors and seniors, she says that she can teach the literature “in an advanced environment, tailoring to a college-level analysis”. Additionally, she prefers high school teaching because she gets to read all of her favorite books. Ms. Prinzo says that as a new teacher, she is eager to try new things and educate the students. She looks forward to trying new things and figuring out what does and doesn’t work in developing her style of teaching.

She is currently teaching Journalism, Creative Writing, English 11CP and English 11 Honors at Becton. She says that the electives are new challenges but in an exciting way. She looks forward to teaching Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, being that it is one of her favorite genres: Science-Fiction.

In her free time, Ms. Prinzo says “I love to read, take long walks with my dog, go hiking, but mostly I’m  at home working.” Her favorite book along with many others is The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. In high school, Ms. Prinzo played volleyball and, last year,  was the Freshman volleyball coach at  Wood-Ridge High School.

Overall, Ms. Prinzo has enjoyed her first month at Becton. She says the teachers are extremely friendly and the students are welcoming. She wishes she could stay longer.