Becton wrestling begins to wrap up season; Kolodziej, Ruiz finish strong

Junior Phil Ruiz is celebrating his 100th win.

Kaya Zawistowski, Staff Writer

Becton Wrestling, which is led by Head Coach Mr. Settembrino, is a contact sport made up of a talented line-up of Becton students.

As the regular wrestling season ended a few weeks ago on February 13, the post season started February 20 and will continue until March 4. Coach Settembrino said that he is sad to lose good senior players; however, he’ll be happy to see good wrestlers come back.

The two boys with the best record this year are Junior Phil Ruiz and Senior Rafal Kolodziej.

Rafal’s record is 31 wins and 4 losses. “It’s been an interesting season,” he said. “The team wrestled new teams and experienced the District Tournaments.”

From the start, Rafal thought this was going to be a season of improvement; however, he was a little upset at how it turned out. “It was a disappointment. I had high hopes for senior year, but a lot of the team is young and inexperienced,” Rafal said. He noted that he still has high expectations for the State Tournament, which is going to be held in Atlantic City this upcoming weekend.

Phil Ruiz, a junior wrestler with a record of 37 to 8, is quite happy with how the season turned out. “It was a great season for the team, and we had a few guys get far in the Regionals.” He also mentioned how excited the team is for Rafal Kolodziej for having the opportunity to participate in the State Finals.

“The season went really well. Although it started rough, the boys brought it together and started working as a team,” added Sophomore Anthony Thomas.