Filed under Sports, Winter Sports

Becton wrestling season set to begin Dec. 19

Coach Settembrino and Senior Rafal Kolodziej are looking forward to a successful 2015-2016 season.

With winter sports season slowly approaching, it is time for the Becton Wrestling Team to begin its 2015-16 competition. Physical Education Instructor and Wrestling Coach Mr. Settembrino, who has been coaching wrestling for 12 years now, and Coach Guarnieri, who has been coaching for two, are both very eager and excited for the season to finally begin.

Although it is still too early to tell how the team is looking, they are practicing six days a week for between 1.5-2.5 hours a day. Practices are a mix of wrestling, lifting and running to keep everyone in shape; however, weight classes 106 and 113 still need to be filled.

This year the wrestlers have entered a new league or as Coach G puts it, “different faces, same goals.” Since there is a new league, the team may be approaching uncharted territory, but that doesn’t mean that they won’t step up their game to be the best that they can possibly be. Coach G and Coach Sett both agree they are most excited to go up against Emerson this season, since they are the biggest team in the league.

“We have a balanced team this year, and it will be interesting how it plays out, but our goals don’t change, and we want to be league champs again and be successful,” noted Senior Rafal Kolodziej.

Although this is a very exciting time, there are still some losses the team has had to cope with. Due to Becton’s new rotate drop schedule, which requires having only one lunch period rather than the previous two, the wrestling team had to give up their wrestling practice room to make way for the new auxiliary cafeteria. “We aren’t upset,” said Coach Sett, “I feel like it spoiled us. Lots of teams have to roll up the mats after practice, and we are very lucky to have just received a new one.”

This season will begin December 19 at the Haddon Heights tournament in Haddon Heights, New Jersey. “We have about five home matches right now,” he added.

• Becton wrestling season set to begin Dec. 19

Sports

Junior Anderson breaks 1995 school discus record

Sports

Rutgers Football recruits Junior Greg Anderson

Sports

Softball coach anticipates successful season

Sports

Boys’ tennis team ‘significantly improves’ from last season

Sports

Becton winter athletics continues successful season

Sports

Girls’ basketball coaches have high hopes for upcoming season

Sports

Mr. Cantatore becomes bowling coach for 2016-2017 season

Sports

Coach Sett has high hopes for upcoming wrestling season

Fall Sports

Girls’ soccer team wins NJIC Meadowlands Conference; earns first soccer banner

Fall Sports

Pontier, Anderson named Homecoming King and Queen