Becton Robotics Club programs interest in students

November 4, 2015

The after-school activity promotes problem solving and communication skills.

Becton’s Robotics Club is a remarkable opportunity for interested adolescents to understand programming and coding and work with the art of robotics. Led by Science Teacher Mrs. Mackanin, students are constantly working with their hands on a weekly basis and building robots from scratch.

“I am interested in expanding student knowledge with robotics,” said the adviser.

From day one, students have been working on their robots and have made progress from that time. “We had a bit of rough start in the beginning, but students now are working efficiently and independently in their groups,” said Mrs. Mackanin. The club adviser currently acts as a guide to clear any confusion while building the robots and eventually will be teaching students how to program them. Students are currently reading and analyzing a manual in groups to construct their robots.

Teamwork is an essential part of the construction of these extraordinary futuristic beings, and eventually members will be taught to program their robots to stack blocks when they conclude constructing them. The club participants will also be referees at middle school events for robotic competitions on December 2 and during the month of March.

While working on the robots, Sophomores Kyle Teran and Bhargin Kanani have showed a great amount of interest and passion in their work. Kyle shows quite some passion for learning the mechanics of robots and enjoys the club, even though there is effort involved. He said, “The Robotics Club can be considered the modern-age wood shop for Becton.”

“The Robotics Club has given me a new outlook on what career I may choose in the near future and has expanded my interests in coding and programming,” added Bhargin.

Club members continue to assemble the robot as a team.

The Cat's Eye View • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in