New retailers and attractions planned for American Dream Meadowlands

Source%3A+northjersey.com

Source: northjersey.com

Austin Kim, Staff Writer

American Dream Meadowlands recently added new retailers to its combined mall and attraction center. The newest of additions to the American Dream Meadowlands include a Legoland and aquarium. Attractions that are midway completed or to be built in the near future include an indoor water park, amusement park, the “Pepsi Globe” ferris wheel, a ski slope and much more.

The American Dream Meadowlands, previously called Meadowlands Xanadu, recently added several major national retailers to its estate as well. Some retailers include Saks Fifth Avenue, Lord & Taylor, The Gap, MAC Cosmetics, Banana Republic, Hermes, Lululemon and Uniqlo. The $3.5 billion project expects to be finished in 2017 with the help of NJ state financing.

The entertainment area, which will occupy a combined 70,000 square feet, will also include an NHL-sized hockey rink, a 287-foot observation wheel, a 22 screen movie complex and 2 million square feet of retail.

The original plan for Xanadu, approved by the NJSEA in 2003, featured an aquarium along with the since-discarded additions of a skateboarding park, wildlife museum, minor league baseball park and clown school.

Sea Life, the expected aquarium at American Dream Meadowlands, receives over 20 million visitors annually at its 50 aquariums and 6 sanctuaries. Over 180,000 creatures reside in their many themed habitats. Such a successful aquarium is certain to attract many animal lovers of all types of ages.

Furthermore, Legoland, provides a child-friendly indoor playground where Lego toys are the main themes of birthday parties, soft play areas and 4D cinemas. Aimed towards children, younger siblings can look forward to Legoland as one of their favorite destinations.

“The state board in 2013 approved a plan to issue up to $550 million in tax-exempt bonds by East Rutherford for the project,” said news writer Erin O’Neill. “Bonds that are backed by a $390 million grant from the state will also be issued, possibly by the Bergen County Improvement Authority.” With the mall’s two previous owners declaring bankruptcy, the NJ state decided to aid in the construction of the project.

“I don’t particularly like the design of the mall, but the area seems like it is fun, and I hope it will be finished in the next year or two,” said Sophomore Kyrillos Demian. He added that his favorite activity at the American Dream Meadowlands would be skiing on the ski-slope during a warm season.

As the American Dream Meadowlands nears its finish date, interest for the attraction grows. With eye-opening attractions and new financial aid, the American Dream certainly appears to be a future success in the Bergen County region.