Becton staff, students raise close to $1,000 for Childhood Cancer Awareness

The participants of the Sept. 30 Childhood Cancer Awareness Day at Becton gather together to show their support for the cause.

Aneta Ostasz, Staff Writer

In honor of Childhood Cancer Awareness Month, Becton staff and students held several fundraisers to help donate to a valuable cause.

The biggest and most successful fundraiser that was held at Becton was the Jean Day and Hats Off to Childhood Cancer Day sponsored by the National Honor Society. Jean Day was designed specifically for Becton faculty and staff where they were permitted to wear jeans to work on September 30 if they donated five dollars for the fundraiser. As for students, they were allowed to wear a hat to school on the same day if they donated one dollar for the fundraiser. Both students and staff that contributed were also encouraged to wear yellow or gold to show their support for the cause, as well as wear a sticker or a ribbon, both which were donated from the Tomorrows Children’s Fund and the Go 4 the Goal foundation.

FullSizeRender

The Tomorrows Children’s Fund is a non-profit organization stationed at Hackensack University Medical Center, and the organization offers a fun and healthy environment for children fighting cancer. Additionally, Go 4 the Goal is a foundation centered in Cherry Hill, New Jersey, and the organization provides financial support for families who have a child with cancer.

To date, $450 was raised by this fundraiser alone. However, with Principal Dr. Sforza matching student donations dollar for dollar, the total was brought up to $629.

“This is a fundraiser that is close to the principal’s heart as well as the faculty members,” said NHS Supervisor Mrs. Colangelo.

Dr. Sforza lost a niece to cancer back in late 2012, so the success from all these fundraisers has been very heartwarming to him.

Additionally, a Back to School Night Bake Sale hosted by the Becton Cheerleaders and Girls Helping Girls also took place.

“I’m happy that it was a success because the money is going to a really good cause,” stated Cheerleading Coach Mrs. Scalera.

Last but certainly not least, Girls Helping Girls sold Childhood Cancer Awareness Bracelets for three dollars a piece. The total from the bake sale and the bracelet sale added up to $350.00.

The amount of money raised from all three fundraisers is $969.

“This cause is extremely important to the Becton staff and student body as well as both the East Rutherford and Carlstadt communities,” said Principal Dr. Sforza, “and we wanted to ensure that we not only spread awareness for children battling cancer, but also assist in providing some financial relief for current families fighting this disease.”

The Becton Regional High School community wanted to find a way to relieve some of the stress associated with fighting cancer and give back to the families who are currently fighting this horrible disease. The school community figured the best way to do so was to raise money for organizations that directly help local families in need.

The majority of the money raised will be donated to the Go 4 the Goal foundation, and the remaining funds raised will be donated to the Tomorrows Children’s Fund.