Girls’ tennis team working well together; Monterrosa making memories

Austin Kim, Staff Writer

The BRHS Girls’ Tennis Team is a close-knit group of athletes who enjoy competing. With only two returning players, Head Coach Mr. Kuhns hopes to improve the team’s talent and skill. Even with losses during their two recent games at Englewood and Secaucus, the group has drastically improved in communication and compatibility. Although the girls have encountered a few minor losses, they will not allow the losses to define their season.

Amazingly, Francesca Monterrosa, a veteran player, has done what no other player has since the beginning of Mr. Kuhns’ career coaching the team. During their game with Englewood last week, she returned victorious with two wins against players of Englewood in singles games. She has been first to ever win a singles match and Mr. Kuhns is extremely proud of her.

“Over the years I’ve coached, no one had ever beat Dwight Englewood in doubles,” stated Mr. Kuhns. As a junior, Francesca Monterrosa will definitely contribute much to the team this season and the next.

The team is composed of nine players: two freshman, one senior and six juniors. Team captains Francesca Monterrosa and Stefany Saltos will be leading as first and second singles players. Jennifer Mikulko will be playing as third singles. Both Amber Jordan and Gloria Saltos will be the first doubles with Ciara Morin and Claudia Kruk as second doubles. Fernanda Martinez, Amanda Quintana and Cindy Muco will be first, second and third alternatives.

Mr. Kuhns emphasized the fact that the girls have such a strong bond.

“I believe the team gets along very well. We are all friends and love to joke around and have fun, but we also know when it’s time to be serious. In my opinion, we play very well together. It’s not always common to have a whole team get along, which I think is a great thing for us,” stated Claudia Kruk.

The team practices every day Monday through Friday, and with such rigorous training, they are off to a great season.