Qualifying seniors to be exempt from final exams

Principal Dr. Sforza announced a new policy on April 29 that will allow seniors to be exempt from taking a final exam. In order to qualify, a senior must have a 90 average for the midterm and the first three marking periods combined and a 90 average in the class for the fourth marking period. For an advanced placement course, however, the student needs to achieve an 88 average for the midterm and the first three marking periods combined and an 88 average in the class for the fourth marking period.

Dr. Sforza said that he was eager to implement the exemptions at Becton after the process worked so well at other schools. He noted that the topic came up during a conversation at a Student Council luncheon, so he then informed the students how he implemented the exemption for seniors in his previous school district and saw immediate gains in adolescent achievement. Furthermore, the principal noticed immediate improvements in student work ethic.

Dr. Sforza stated that additional perks of final exam exemptions are “decreased stress from studying for the exam, more time dedicated to studying for other exams and one or more days off from school if exempt from multiple exams.”

He continued to add that he hopes to extend this incentive to the eleventh grade students if positive results are achieved this year.

If the policy is successful, many underclassmen expressed their excitement over the possibility of having final exam exemptions for them one day. Freshman Donna Carella said, “People will try to aim for a higher grade,” and Freshman Kaya Zawistowski believes that the exemption gives students something to look forward to.

Physical Education Teacher Ms. O’ Driscoll, who believes that most of her students will be exempt from her exam, noted, “It [the incentive] will push students to do better in their classes.”

Art Teacher Mrs. Colangelo added, “Knowing about [the exemptions] earlier in the year would push students to reach for the higher grade. It will motivate students to produce their best work.”