Ruiz, Forys wrap up wrestling season with a strong finish

Jared Farhat, Sports Writer

Becton wrestling had a great year with each member contributing to the successful outcome of the season. Specifically, Sophomore Phil Ruiz at the weight of 106 pounds and Senior Roy Forys at 160 pounds placed at Districts with Phil as runner-up and Roy claiming the title. Both wrestlers also headed down to Atlantic City with their families, fellow teammates, and statisticians.

Phil, with a record of 35 wins and five losses this year, had a productive season as he was able to consistently win matches. The wrestler has proven over the past two years that he has what it takes to make it to states and possibly become a state champion in the future. His career record is 67-10. This year, he came in second place for District Champ, allowing him to go to Atlantic City for the state matches.

He stated, “I prepared myself mentally every single day of the week, thinking about only wrestling every minute of the day.” Phil plans on returning to the championship next year and claiming the District title.

Furthermore, Roy was able to call himself a District Champion after placing second in Districts during his sophomore and junior year. Although Roy will graduate this year, his wrestling career is not over as he will continue to wrestle at Wesleyan University in Connecticut.

The senior wrestler is aware that his teammates can succeed the following year. “I believe that this team has all the potential in the world. As long as they work hard in the off-season, reclaiming the title and returning to states is more than possible,” he said.

Ultimately, the Becton Wrestling Team had an overall successful season as they claimed the title of District 15 Champions.