This year’s school play performance promises to be ‘a tough act to follow’

February 12, 2015

The cast works together on perfecting the set.

With only two weeks remaining until the curtain goes up, the Theatre Arts Club is preparing for its performance of  A Tough Act to Follow.

The cast will host its opening night on Friday, February 27 at 7 p.m., and the final performance will be on Saturday, February 28 at 3 p.m. Both performances will take place in the Becton Performing Arts Center.

Discounted ticket sales will end on February 26, 2015. Tickets are currently eight dollars for adults but will cost ten dollars at the door. The cost for students and senior citizens is five dollars.

Lines fly faster than bullets in this Damon Runyonesque tale as Leo finds that true love, indeed, sometimes follows a very rocky road.

— Playwright Pat Cook

This three act farce centers around a talent agency in the 1950s where Leo Mintz, a once prestigious Broadway agent, struggles to keep his legacy from crumbling. As if things weren’t hard enough trying to maintain his silly acts, Leo is forcefully employed by the Mafia. His task is to make the lovely and not-so-talented Christine into a huge star. To add to the chaos, Leo winds up falling in love with her, and in efforts to throw everyone off track, a “battle of the sexes” is staged, causing more and more trouble along the way.

“Things are coming along quite productively. The set is currently under construction, and the costumes are getting into place. We’re just ironing out the last minute kinks right now,” shared four time play director Mrs. Settembrino. She also added that finding era-fitting props and costumes have proven to be quite the challenge. “It entailed a lot of research, but it’s so important that we keep the aesthetic.”

Senior Francesca Plescia, who has been a member of the stage crew for the past two years, is now going to be on the other side of the stage for the first time. “I’m so excited to be acting in the show this time around. I’ve always wanted to do it, but never felt like I could. It’s my senior year, and I’ve grown so comfortable with the remaining cast that I decided to just go for it,” she said.

“This is my final year in the play, and it’s honestly saddening. I have a really good feeling about this play though. I think it could be our best one yet,” said Senior Nick Barbo.

The Cast

● Leo Mintz……Nick Barbo
● Liz Pomeroy……Jamie Scangarella
● Bebe……Sharon Skeahan
● Scat…….Cordell Greer
● Francis……..Frankie Plescia
● Professor…….Rebecca Sass
● Lydia…….Lauren Kaszka
● Duke…….Julio Rodriguez
● Adelaide…….Victoria Gatopoulos
● Doc…….John Rotella
● Maxie……John Zierold
● Louie DeMarco…….Tyler Koch
● Marlene…….Rebecca Cruz
● Christine…….Faith Banca
● Nola Baines…….Christina Woyce
● Officer Flannery…….Damian Carewicz
● Kip…….Ruth Jimenez

The Cat's Eye View • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in