Coach Balaban sets high expectations for boys’ basketball team

December 5, 2014

As winter approaches and all fall sports come to an end, the Becton Boys’ Basketball Team prepares for what promises to be a great year. Participating in a summer league, the team looks to impress and surprise all with a strong core of seniors leading it.

Head Varsity Coach Mr. Balaban stated, “As a program, we have already established a family atmosphere. Every member of the program views his teammates’ success as his own success.” With this in mind and with practices being held everyday, the team plans to prove it is made up of true contenders.

Coach Balaban, who has high expectations, is a first year coach here at Becton. “We plan on building the program by taking positive steps forward every single day. With this, we will also establish a culture of basketball,” he said.

Balaban began coaching as a junior in college before he began coaching high level AAU boys’ basketball. He was also the assistant head coach for the girls’ varsity program at Abraham Clark High School as well as a varsity assistant at Rutherford High School for three years.

Because most of the current senior players were on the varsity team last year, they will easily move up to starters for this season. Senior Brandon Sanchez explained, “It’s now or never. We don’t have a next year. We will strive to improve in every aspect of our game and I do speak for my entire team.”

Senior David Riano added, “Although it is our last year playing for Becton, it is the beginning of the season, the beginning of something that will never be forgotten.”

As a final assessment of his team, Coach Balaban confidently stated, “We have an excellent, highly qualified coaching staff as well as roster which is accompanied with high standards and expectations.”

The Cat's Eye View • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in