Faculty, staff & students encouraged to ‘Take a Break from Becton’

Faculty, staff & students encouraged to Take a Break from Becton

Devyn Di Meola, Editor

The Becton Administration has implemented a Take a Break from Becton initiative for the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. All faculty and staff were informed on Nov 20 that they are not permitted to assign any homework during the upcoming holiday break in order to help reduce stress levels of students and give adolescents a chance to reconnect with their families.

Furthermore, the faculty and staff were also encouraged to spend time with their loved ones and not complete any grading during the long weekend.

According to Principal Dr. Sforza, the initiative provides “a way for students and teachers to decompress from all of the emotional, physical, and social pressures they face.”

“In today’s world, you have to mandate release time with family and friends from the demands of school and work,” he said. “Reconnecting with family is critically important to students’ academic and social well-being.”

The work-free initiative was inspired by Ramapo Indian Hills High School, who recently implemented “Wellness Weekend” to combat stress overload in their community. Although students should not expect a work-free winter break, the end of the school year could possibly bring about a similar ‘Take a Break’ weekend.

Administration hopes that this relaxed Thanksgiving holiday will allow students and faculty to step away from their work for a few days and remind them of what they are truly thankful for.